Trendy Mates 2

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Why Everyone Should Travel In Their Twenties

It’s one of the most soul enriching experiences.
You meet new people, see new places, and
often realise that no matter where you are in
the world, you will find an incredible story.
I recently spent seven weeks abroad as part of
a journalism internship programme.
In my motivational essay for the programme I
distinctly remember saying, “Through this
experience I’d like to learn more about my
career, a different culture, different people and
a different language.”
But this experience, has taught me so much
more.
Budgeting
First things first, never in my life have I had to
watch my budget like I have during this trip.
Not because I never had sufficient funds, I did,
but I had to think logically and strategically
about what I wanted to do and how I would
differentiate between needs and wants.
I for one, was the person that skipped the
infamous branded European sales and opted for
affordable flight/train/bus tickets. And I have
no regrets.
I traveled alone for the first time. There’s
something really liberating about traveling for
you, and by yourself. I’ve learnt more about
myself than I would’ve staying in my safe
haven. I’ve enriched my soul more through
traveling than any sale could have.
Planning
I guess this ties in with budgeting. But there are
quite a lot of things to consider when planning
a trip. You have to check flight, bus and train
tickets, the best time of the year to explore your
destination.
You have to check the best way to navigate
yourself around the city. General cost of living
in the city. To- do list, to-do list, to-do list -
this will become your life guide while abroad.
Perseverance
There is a certain kind of patience one needs to
attempt to be fully integrated into a society
where you barely understand the language. A
certain kind of patience to be okay with always
being an outsider.
And of course a certain kind of patience to
listen to others really carefully and in turn
articulate your words to avoid getting lost in
translation.
Tolerance
During your travels you’ll meet different kinds of
people. People who will challenge your world
views, and alter them. People that will make
you curious about things you’ve never
questioned before, and others who will reaffirm
your perspectives.
You’ll literally have life changing conversations.
But you have to be okay with that, traveling
opens your mind.
The realisation that there are more people in
the world like you than their are not
In the same breathe I can say that even though
you’ll be challenged, more often than not, you’ll
realise how similar your culture may be to
others.
You’ll realize that if you sit around the dinner
table with a Mexican, a Greek, a Chinese , a
Korean, an Italian  and a Singaporean you’ll
hardly ever run out of things to say. You’ll
speak about everything from the Greek crises to
Korean plastic surgery and even South African
wine.
Home is people not a place
After a seven week internship abroad, my
travels end on Sunday and as the end draws
near I realise that what I am returning to is not
a structure, but people who make me feel all
warm and fuzzy when I am with them.
Friendship is a universal language
During the last two months I’ve met people
from almost every continent. Across many
different accents, sometimes misplaced
adjectives and swapping of subject and
predicate.
I’ve established fulfilling relationships, had
meaningful conversations shared experiences
and can honestly say I now have a friend from
Malawi, Namibia, Germany, Mexico, Greece,
Italy, Spain and the list goes on.
Your twenties are your selfish years
It is hundred percent okay to leave your home
country and travel the world, for no one else
but yourself. Get out of your comfort zone,
experience things, live a little and  add valuable
pages to your book of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment